Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Shalon's Surgery

October was a busy month for me with both kids having surgery. Wes' mom really helped us out and came to stay with kids for both of them. Shalon got her tonsils/adenoids removed October 26th. She snored really bad and would stop breathing when she slept. So I decided with all the medical stuff we had this year we might as well have this done too.

Wes had been working out of town the last few months but was able to stay home for this. We had to be at the hospital early. Like 6:30. I set my alarm clock but I turned it off. I woke up to Wes rolling over so I looked at the clock which said it was 6:30. Panic mode. Luckily my clock is 10 minutes fast and I already had a bag packed for Shalon. However I didn't have anything for me and I'd planned on taking a shower before going... So I was nasty for 2 days. Didn't even have a toothbrush. Talk about gross...

They gave Shalon a Dr. Bear before going in to surgery. It went very well. Dr. Bateman said he didn't know how she could breath because her tonsils were so big. (We got her to let us see them the night before... Both sides touched her uvula... wow)

They told us to go to her room in ped's. We left the waiting room and could hear her screaming. Wes took her from the nurse who informed us Shalon is very strong. Shalon just didn't like her I.V. Ok she hated it. They had tried to get it in both hands and ended up with it in her foot. Luckily she wanted to drink right after surgery which I guess never happens and drained a couple sippy cups so they took her I.V. out as soon as the bag was empty. All she wanted was Daddy that day which was ok becuase I was trying to keep Cutler entertained.

Shalon wanted to go home that night. But she was supposed to stay for observation. They told me we could leave anytime after 6 am. She woke up at 6:30 so we took off before breakfast. We both wanted to get home.

October 26th, 2009

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Your little girl is about the cutest thing I have ever seen in my whole life!!! I want one like that!!!

Brooke said...

I'm glad everything went alright. It doesn't sound like a lot of fun but I'm sure she's sleeping and breathing much better.